Welcome to Wayne High School!
Wayne County High School opened its doors to students in the fall of 1921. Students met the faculty in the combination store/dwelling which was used as a high school building during the first two years of the school's existence. The building was located close to the present Wayne Community Center. By the spring of 1925, the new building was completed, with 130 students enrolled. Twelve students received diplomas at the first annual commencement in 1925. By 1932-33, 407 students were enrolled, 50 boys signed up for the football team in September 1932, and 52 students graduated in the Class of 1933. Wenona Beckett was the first Homecoming Queen, crowned in 1949. As the student population increased, additions were made to the building which included additional classrooms, a cafeteria, and a gymnasium.
In 1959, the Wayne County Board of Education traded some property in Spunky Addition to the Wayne County Commission in exchange for the County Farm on Creig Road. Construction began in 1960 on the building which currently houses Wayne High School on Creig Road. In 1967, the current building was used for all sophomores, juniors and seniors, with the freshmen remaining at the old high school, which became Wayne Junior High. When fire marshals forced the closing of the junior high in 1977, freshmen moved to the current building. The gymnasium was completed in 1979, with a music complex, science building, and commons area completed in 1985.
Wayne High School has one of the largest and most beautiful school campuses in the state, with its 200-plus acres providing a nature trail, greenhouse, pond, parking lots, baseball, football and softball fields, and a pleasant student and teacher atmosphere.